Nine Ten Eleven

We were leaving the store when Chase caught up to me in the parking lot and exclaimed, “Mom you walked right by this one!” and handed me a penny.  “Oh wow, I must really be tired” I explained.  With his trademark smile Chase put his hand on my back and said, “It’s okay Mom, you probably have a lot on your mind.”  Indeed I do I thought.  If only my concerns for the rest of the day were as simple as his.  In my defense I’d already found a dime

We were leaving the store when Chase caught up to me in the parking lot and exclaimed, “Mom you walked right by this one!” and handed me a penny.  “Oh wow, I must really be tired” I explained.  With his trademark smile Chase put his hand on my back and said, “It’s okay Mom, you probably have a lot on your mind.”  Indeed I do I thought.  If only my concerns for the rest of the day were as simple as his.  In my defense I’d already found a dimeKeep reading...

Teacher Love

I got an email this week from Chase’s new case manager about needing to schedule an IEP meeting before school starts again in the fall.  I thought the business that needed to be taken care of had successfully been accomplished by our last meeting but it hadn’t.  That get-together which was called a “matriculation meeting” only enrolled Chase at the school, there was still more to do.  (By the way, that’s what that fancy M-word means to admit somebody as a student. Who knew?) Anyway, because I was a little

I got an email this week from Chase’s new case manager about needing to schedule an IEP meeting before school starts again in the fall.  I thought the business that needed to be taken care of had successfully been accomplished by our last meeting but it hadn’t.  That get-together which was called a “matriculation meeting” only enrolled Chase at the school, there was still more to do.  (By the way, that’s what that fancy M-word means to admit somebody as a student. Who knew?) Anyway, because I was a littleKeep reading...

"I’d like to thank…"

If the story of my life were made into a movie, other than ticket sales, the big problem would be which genre to classify it as.  Living it feels like a comedy but sometimes it veers off into melodrama.  Animated short feature wouldn’t work unless Chase was drawing it.  Action adventure would be an overstatement because I don’t usually have high-speed car chases on the way too Starbucks.  Documentary sounds so boring but at least we’re getting closer. There are a few other problems besides what kind of film it

If the story of my life were made into a movie, other than ticket sales, the big problem would be which genre to classify it as.  Living it feels like a comedy but sometimes it veers off into melodrama.  Animated short feature wouldn’t work unless Chase was drawing it.  Action adventure would be an overstatement because I don’t usually have high-speed car chases on the way too Starbucks.  Documentary sounds so boring but at least we’re getting closer. There are a few other problems besides what kind of film itKeep reading...

Bullies Don’t Win

I worried about bullying before either one of my boys stepped on a school campus. Just leaving them in the nursery at church was a stretch for me. My girlfriends worried about their kids too so only the more confident parents labeled me neurotic. This was over ten years ago when bullying wasn’t considered an epidemic. Of course autism hadn’t hit the radar back then like it has now either. I knew my kiddos were different as toddlers, but I didn’t know what to call it. I did know, however,

I worried about bullying before either one of my boys stepped on a school campus. Just leaving them in the nursery at church was a stretch for me. My girlfriends worried about their kids too so only the more confident parents labeled me neurotic. This was over ten years ago when bullying wasn’t considered an epidemic. Of course autism hadn’t hit the radar back then like it has now either. I knew my kiddos were different as toddlers, but I didn’t know what to call it. I did know, however,Keep reading...

A Penny Voice

Sometimes a penny presents a quandary.  As a rule, pennies in a fountain no matter how enticing they might be are off-limits.  They’re someone’s wish penny and I don’t want to interfere with destiny.  Pennies under a Salvation Army kettle are a good deed misplaced and the responsibility of the bell ringer.  A penny in front of a homeless man is a hard find. Tonight out walking downtown I spotted two pennies in front of a gentleman selling, “The Voice” Denver’s newspaper that creates job opportunities for the impoverished.  I’d

Sometimes a penny presents a quandary.  As a rule, pennies in a fountain no matter how enticing they might be are off-limits.  They’re someone’s wish penny and I don’t want to interfere with destiny.  Pennies under a Salvation Army kettle are a good deed misplaced and the responsibility of the bell ringer.  A penny in front of a homeless man is a hard find. Tonight out walking downtown I spotted two pennies in front of a gentleman selling, “The Voice” Denver’s newspaper that creates job opportunities for the impoverished.  I’dKeep reading...

Game, Set, Huddle

I was all decked out in my jersey and after a tiring few days it was time for some football.  I’d read the scouting reports and felt very confident.  A Cowboy victory seemed certain but by half-time Sunday I was already lamenting my decision to stick with my boys because America’s team was flailing.  You see, I’m a struggling Cowboys fan and my loyalties in sports tend to be very fickle.  I’ve been known to change teams as often as I do shoes but for years now when it comes to football I’ve stuck

I was all decked out in my jersey and after a tiring few days it was time for some football.  I’d read the scouting reports and felt very confident.  A Cowboy victory seemed certain but by half-time Sunday I was already lamenting my decision to stick with my boys because America’s team was flailing.  You see, I’m a struggling Cowboys fan and my loyalties in sports tend to be very fickle.  I’ve been known to change teams as often as I do shoes but for years now when it comes to football I’ve stuckKeep reading...

Cool Hand Luke

The headline read, “Cool Hand Luke”, but my sight was so blurred by the tears in my eyes I wasn’t sure I had read it right. It took Kleenex and coffee before I could read the story but the picture and the headline said it all.  Luke had won his second tournament of the summer and in just two weeks time his back to back wins and years of hard work were finally noticed by our small town paper. Luke’s won before but the newspaper finally caught up with a headline

The headline read, “Cool Hand Luke”, but my sight was so blurred by the tears in my eyes I wasn’t sure I had read it right. It took Kleenex and coffee before I could read the story but the picture and the headline said it all.  Luke had won his second tournament of the summer and in just two weeks time his back to back wins and years of hard work were finally noticed by our small town paper. Luke’s won before but the newspaper finally caught up with a headlineKeep reading...

You Know Uno

At the end of the summer when my son goes back to school he’ll no doubt be asked about what he did by his teachers and classmates.  If he has his way he’ll be able to report that he was the summer 2010 Uno Champion.  While his big brother is acquiring as many friends as possible on Facebook Chase is busy challenging everyone he can to a game of cards.  He’s figured out it’s a really fun way to spend time together and it is. Before the card craze started I had decided

At the end of the summer when my son goes back to school he’ll no doubt be asked about what he did by his teachers and classmates.  If he has his way he’ll be able to report that he was the summer 2010 Uno Champion.  While his big brother is acquiring as many friends as possible on Facebook Chase is busy challenging everyone he can to a game of cards.  He’s figured out it’s a really fun way to spend time together and it is. Before the card craze started I had decidedKeep reading...

Labeled

Checking in at a conference these days is a like checking into an all-inclusive resort.  You get a map, schedule of activities, meal ticket, satisfaction survey, and all sorts of other information designed to help you enjoy your stay.  One of the items in your goodie bag is always the dreaded nametag.  For some, a nametag might feel just fine clipped onto their lapel but for me it feels like a five pound out of focus snapshot hanging from my chest.  Whether it’s a clip-on, pin-on, stick-on, or lanyard I hate what has now

Checking in at a conference these days is a like checking into an all-inclusive resort.  You get a map, schedule of activities, meal ticket, satisfaction survey, and all sorts of other information designed to help you enjoy your stay.  One of the items in your goodie bag is always the dreaded nametag.  For some, a nametag might feel just fine clipped onto their lapel but for me it feels like a five pound out of focus snapshot hanging from my chest.  Whether it’s a clip-on, pin-on, stick-on, or lanyard I hate what has nowKeep reading...

I Will Be Your Strength

If I wrote a blog post about every wonderful friend that I have I would be writing for days.  I don’t say that to sound impressive as if I did anything to deserve these friends.  I haven’t.  I try to be a good friend but on the friend meter I don’t know that I’m an extraordinary friend.  I’m not saying that to solicit compliments so PLEASE don’t send any. My point is that I’m very humbled by my friends and their obvious love for me and my children.  If I could be more like some

If I wrote a blog post about every wonderful friend that I have I would be writing for days.  I don’t say that to sound impressive as if I did anything to deserve these friends.  I haven’t.  I try to be a good friend but on the friend meter I don’t know that I’m an extraordinary friend.  I’m not saying that to solicit compliments so PLEASE don’t send any. My point is that I’m very humbled by my friends and their obvious love for me and my children.  If I could be more like someKeep reading...